How do I convert an existing charity into a charitable company?

Your existing unincorporated charity cannot simply be converted into a company because in law they are different types of organisation. Instead, you have to:

  • form and register a new company with Companies House
  • apply to register this new company as a charity with the Charity Commission
  • transfer all the assets and undertakings of your unincorporated charity to the new charitable company
  • dissolve the old unincorporated charity and notify the Charity Commission that it can be removed from the register of charities

Get more detail and resources to help you with this process:

Incorporating an existing charity as a company: questions and answers

The Charity Commission cannot give you advice on setting up a new company - you should read the Companies House guidance:

Setting up a new company – Companies House

ID: 152

See full list of FAQ topics

Print page