Use this form to apply for consent to pay a trustee, including expenses, or find out if consent is needed.
Before you start
You can use this form to apply for permission to:
- pay a trustee less than £1,000 a year
- pay expenses to a trustee
- appoint a member of staff as a trustee
- employ a 'connected person' – someone with a financial link to a trustee, like a business partner or spouse
- employ a trustee
- pay a trustee for serving as a trustee
- pay a trustee for providing a service
- pay a trustee to replace lost income
Check your charity’s governing document – if it allows you to pay trustees you do not need to complete this form.
Read our information on trustee payments and how to deal with conflicts of interest:
Don't complete this form if:
- you want to change the 'trustee benefits' or 'conflicts of interest' clauses in your governing document
- 50% or more of the trustees will receive a payment as a result (unless this totals less than £1,000 a year)
- you will personally benefit from the payment (another trustee should complete the form instead)
- you are an NHS charity
What you will need to tell us
You will need to have the following to hand:
- the reason for the payment
- details of the recruitment process, if there was one, demonstrating that it was open and fair
- a copy of the contract or agreement to pay the trustee, if there is one
- a job description for the paid work
- your charity’s most recent accounts, if they have not been filed
Completing the form
It is an offence under section 60(1)(b) of the Charities Act 2011 to knowingly or recklessly provide false or misleading information.
Employing a trustee or connected person: get permission Find out how to complete the online form for employing a trustee or connected person.